More crash info.

Zav - Alex Zavatone zavpublic at mac.com
Mon May 5 09:36:52 CDT 2003

>on 5/5/03 2:52 AM, Zav - Alex Zavatone at zavpublic at mac.com wrote:
>
>>>    OpenDataBase(myDB, myDBPath,1) -- CREATE DATABASE FROM SCRATCH
>>
>>  The above line instantly crashes Director if Valentina has
>>  (mistakenly or on purpose) not been inited.
>>
>>  Valentina should exit GRACEFULLY from such a condition.
>
>Well, probably yes.

Can't you simply declare an  internal flag when the instance of the
xtra is inited and check on an open database command?  If it fails,
abort without crashing.  This might make V easier to learn and
therefore get you new paying customers.

>  > It makes V very hard to learn for the new user.  And problem children
>>  like myself (read: new customers) who learn by playing with the
>>  product spend their time relaunching from crashes and reentering code
>>  instead of learning the correct way to use valentina.
>
>By the way, it looks you type your commands to Valentina in Message window.
>This is not very good idea.

>You need write scripts.
>And later execute them.
>
>Database do not like ANY mistake in steps.
>So if you do this interactively you easy can do mistakes on some step.
>
>Again, write scripts, and use DEBUGGER to see values of YOUR variables.

I do.  I don't understand what you are getting at.  I have to enter
my commands in the message window to test my code.  I can't run the
app from scratch all the time.

>---------------
>Zav,
>
>One more secret for you!!!
>
>Do for now
>
>     ValentinaInit()
>     ValentinaDebugLevel(2)

Already doing it.  Thanks.  I was crashing anyway.

>Last line notify Valentina to be in DEBUG mode.
>In this mode Valentina protect self from e.g. Bad references,
>So it NOT crashes, but give you error in msg window.

Nope.  Still crashes Director MX on Mac OS X.  I had it on all yesterday.
--
- Zav
Marge, prepare the emergency ham.