[V4RB] DELETE and Index Corruption

Frank Schima frank-list at mindstarprods.com
Sun May 4 15:43:51 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

I just discovered a strange problem with Indexes in V4RB 1.9.8b2.

I have a large database where I deleted all 3 records from a table
using the DELETE FROM sql. This table has an ObjectPointer to another
table. I added a single record to the now empty original table using
INSERT sql.

Now when I query that table with a simple SELECT * FROM myTable, I get
the record. But when I query that record as follows:

    SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE ObjectPtrField = 1234

I get the correct number of columns returned, but no rows! Now it gets
really weird. If I put quotes around the value like so:

    SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE ObjectPtrField = "1234"

Then it works!!

So I deleted the index file and let it rebuild and all works normal
again.

Conclusion: The index can get corrupted when records are deleted from a
table with ObjectPointer fields.

Best regards,
Frank

---