[VAPP,V4MD] "Exotic" languages

Tschoatscho Kettl ich at medienzar.de
Sat May 3 07:41:33 CDT 2003

Hi,
probably a very exotic problem:
In VAPP I use the Popup-Menu to set the language of a text or varchar field.
I already know from earlier threads that this doesn't always work as
expected and that I should set the field language using the
ChangeFieldLanguage method from the xtra.
AFAIK Valentina uses sorting algorithms provided by the system. So it
seems obvious that the result depends on the user's system and on
what scripting systems are installed there, right?

In my current (non-commercial) project I have to sort Thai words
ordered by the Thai alphabet. VAPP shows "Thai" within the Popup as a
supported language, but it is neither possible to set "Thai" in VAPP
nor using the Xtra method pVDB.ChangeFieldLanguage(fieldRef,"Thai")
(->GetFieldLanguage still returns "ASCII").
So here my first question:
How can I make Valentina accept "Thai" as a language and use Thai
sorting algorithm? Do I have to buy a Thai MacOS or Windows or is it
enough to install some system extensions (i.e. "Language & Region
Support")? Where could I get such extensions?

If it depends on the user's system which languages are supported by
Valentina...
...second question:
How can I get a list of all supported languages on the user's machine
from within the xtra?

--
Greets Tsch.