[V4RB] OS X/RB Threads, Valentina, and Dual Processor Macs

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Mar 31 16:34:36 CST 2003

on 3/31/03 3:19 PM, Frank Bitterlich at bitterlich at gsco.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> got my first Dual Processor Mac (1.42 GHz) Friday, and I'm quite
> impressed with the speed.
>
> Now I (believe to) remember that RB's apps run only on one processor,
> even if there are multiple threads. But runing a heavy data import job,
> the CPU monitor shows both CPUs with roughly the same amount of usage.
>
> The application's main thread does virtually nothing, while a single
> Thread object does the main job of importing data into a Valentina DB.
> What exactly am I seeing here? Doe RB distribute the load onto both
> CPUs, or is Valentina possibly running on the other CPU in that case?
>
> It's not that I would gain anything from knowing the answer, but I'm
> curious anyway. :)

Hi Frank,

Valentina 1.x do not use double CPU in true way.
This will present in 2.0 and macho only version.

You see, I think that MacOS X itself try balance loading of CPUs.
I see this the same almost amount of usage very often, for many apps.

In the same time note, that REALbasic run plugins it seems in separate
thread. If this is true then threads can use own CPU.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com