[OFF] Bad news for MAC ?

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 11:04:27 CST 2003

on 31/3/03 10:27, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> One PC lover today have point me this new article on Adobe (!!!) site
>
>   http://www.adobe.com/motion/pcpreferred.html
>
> It show that new DELL P4/3Mhz is up to 2 times faster of DUAL 1.42.
> Any comments and rumors?
>
> As for me I think this is not problem at all, because in near months
> expected Apple's upgrade. But ....

There's been much discussion of this article on Slashdot. It's written by a
well known PC apologist, and was probably posted by Adobe to annoy Apple
more than anything else. They're pretty pissed off that Apple brought out
FCP, and FCP express in particular as it hits at the core of their Premiere
sales (an app that gets updated about once every 3 years, and deserves some
competition to stop them being so smug). The benchmarks also fail to take
account of the 3 days of tech support required to get the PC working
properly... If you're working in After Effects, render time accounts for so
little of the overall time spent that it really doesn't matter - if I spend
2 days working in a sequence, that it takes 2 or 3 minutes to render really
makes little impact. After effects was quite usable on my old 840AV...
Perhaps they should have benchmarked MPEG2 encoding, which a dual G4 will do
several times faster than a 3G P4 courtesy of Apple's nice AltiVec
implementation.
Since there are some very juicy rumours about PPC970s for later this year, I
wouldn't really worry about the speed differences. I mean what use is a 3GHz
P4 if you can't run OS X on it? ;^) I don't see CPU speed improving the
Windows user experience at all, and for 99% of the time, your processor is
idle anyway (how many cycles does it need to flash a text cursor!), so the
faster it is, the more time it's wasting!

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture

marcus at synchromedia.co.uk | http://www.synchromedia.co.uk