[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Fri Mar 28 11:43:36 CST 2003

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>> It should be explicitly written in the agreement what
>> purpose this information is used for and what protections
>> will be placed on the information provided by the developer.
>> For example, Paradigm will not use the information provided
>> for marketing purposes such as posting information about my
>> application on their web site as an example of an
>> application that uses valentina.
>
> I have not understand.
>
> You will be disappointed by additional link to your application ?????
> You are first who say this!
>
> All your words sound like words of man who just love to bet for bet.
>
> Hmm, if you feel shame that you use Valentina, then what problems?
> Go and use e.g. mySQL and be proud on this.
>
> I just do not understand what problems you have, Bred???

<Ugly stuff on>

First off, my name is "Brendan".

Second, do you think that I am that stupid? Why do you
patronize my comments? I am trying to offer suggestions for
improving the EULA for us developers (your customers)!

It seems to me that you have not comprehended many of my
comments throughout this discussion. Other people seem to
understand me, so I suspect it is not my writing skills.

</Ugly stuff off>

Let me reassure you that I love the valentina product and am
no way ashamed of it. It is fast, solid, and does what I
want it to do.

The answer to your question about why (in my example) I don't
want you to add a link to my product from your web site is
quite simple. It is a matter of control! I want to control
where and when my product is advertised or promoted. I have
a specific marketing plan set up to promote a specific
image.

If you take my information and put it on your web site as a
promotional tool for valentina without my permission, then
you are tampering with my product's image. As a hypothetical
situation to illustrate my point, what if a local milk
producer puts the logo and web site information on their
milk cartons for Tiffany Jewelry because someone thought it
would help them sell milk? Obviously this will cheapen the
image for Tiffany Jewelry and thus hurt Tiffany's sales.

The analogy for the Tiffany logo on the milk carton applies
to my product and the valentina web site. Speaking frankly,
the valentina web site could use a lot of polishing. It is
functional, but not very appealing. This reasoning also
speaks to the root of my problem with putting your logo on
my about box (your logo is ugly and won't fit into the
elements I have chosen).

So, I would like the commercial license agreement to
specifically state what you will do with the information
provided. Will it ever be revealed or used by you guys and
how? The  commercial license agreement should say that the
information will only be used for EULA verification only.

I really like the "opt-in" strategy (similar to the "Made
with REALBasic" program") for the logo issue. Then we the
customers will feel like we are getting something for our
efforts. That is a win-win situation.