[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 12:44:24 CST 2003

Lynn Fredricks wrote:
> Hi Carsten,
>
>>> In the documentation of V4RB is written that we have to put the
>>> Copyright info and the Valentina Logo in the Aboutbox of the
>>> application. Now in OS X it is no problem to put the Copyright info
>>> inside the Aboutbox. But it is a problem to put the Valentina Logo
>>> inside the dialog, because the dialog should be much
>> smaller than in
>>> OS 9. Here is the chapter of the HIG from Apple:
>>>
>> <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Es>
> sentials/AquaHIGuideline
>>> s/AHIGWi
>>> ndows/chapter_5_section_18.html>.
>>>
>>> So what should we do?
>>
>> Lynn,
>>
>> Can you look on this ?
>>
>> Actually this wonder me, on modern big monitors dialog is smaller???
>
> This is a problem. First, are there any penalties with not completely
> conforming to HIG? Im not trying to avoid your question, just asking
> because I know some people have to ship *now* and coming up with a
> solution takes time. If we are forced to consider AHIG then we also
> should look at what's going on with what MS recommends for Windows,
> unless we consider a more global change in how the logo works.
>
> Best regards,

It is called a "guideline," that should be self explanatory.

The real problem here the requirement to display the
valentina logo at all! To have to put the logo in my splash
or about box simply won't fit the style or quality for what
I am creating for those elements. As an example, consider
the the Photoshop splash screen. The valentina logo would
look like like an over grown wart in that environment.

Putting a copy-write notice is reasonable and doable, but the
logo requirement is onerous at best! I paid for the
valentina software for royalty free access, so why should MY
application be your advertising vehicale. As a valentina
customer, this pisses me off!

To add insult to injury, you require payment to NOT put the
logo in.

 From the license agreement:
   (8) Agree that you understand that you may, only through
   additional license and payment of royalties based on the
   then current royalty schedule, build and sell commercial,
   general purpose database applications, or exclude the
   Valentina Technology logo from applications;

There is no delicate way to put this, but your logo stinks
as a piece of artwork. If it was half way decent, then I may
not be as miffed about the logo requirement.

There are other aspects of the licensing agreement that are
poorly written or act like a stick in the eye of your
customers. Reconsider your license agreement from the point
of view of your customers and rewrite it to encourage
customers to use your product instead of putting in
"self-serving" requirements.