[V4RB] Bug in UPDATE or ImportText or Flush?

Richard Altenburg valentina at brainchild.nl
Tue Mar 25 13:06:02 CST 2003

On 24-03-2003 15:14, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> IF problem still exists, then please describe it in short clear form.

I develop software for more than 20 years, and know I cannot just say: "It
does not work". That is why I describe it all very long, but I will try to
do it shorter.

Using ImportText I import 50,000 records, and after that I set a field to a
numeric value with an SQL UPDATE. This does not work correctly. The field
can only be queried as "value" instead of value. So it is not numeric after
the UPDATE.

After some thinking and testing, I came up with a temporary solution. After
the UPDATE of all the server_recid's for the records that had a server_recid
of 0, I do this:

rowsAffected=ppPiPaBase.SqlExecute("REINDEX FIELD
AvailableGroup.server_recid")

So I reindex the field that started the problems in the first place, and
this works all the time: at the start of a new database, after a small but
also after a big import (see my long messages for a further explanation of
this).

But reindexing so much records takes some time, so this can only be a
temporary solution. I hope for a better, faster one, by Ruslan.

So it is no ImportText-bug, and no Flush-bug, but an UPDATE-bug. Tested all
situations and only the UPDATE causes this problem. Only re-indexing solves
the problem.