GROUP BY Cursors

Gunnar Swan GunnarSwan at PracticeToPass.com
Wed Mar 19 08:45:40 CST 2003

>Wait the moment. Let's clarify.
>
>1) Yes you must be able use SUM() for Integer fields.

GS. When I switch field data type to ULong and cast data as integer, fails.
GS. When I switch field data typt to FLOAT and cast data as float, OK.

>2) Let you have in table fields f1, f2, f3.
>    Note that even if this fields are Integers, then __result__ of AVG()
>will be FLOAT. So column AVG() in SELECT is FLOAT column.

GS. Maybe in the select, but if stored in database as other than FLOAT, fails.

>3) COUNT(field) column is INTEGER column,
>    and field can be of ANY type, even string.
>
>4) You say that COUNT( fldLong ) returns VOID ???

GS. Yes. This is what I am saying.

>Hmm, I need to check this.

GS. For this application, we went through entire database schema and switched to FLOAT.
GS. Then we went through all code and type-cast to FLOAT.
GS. So we are moving on ok.
GS. But you might want to check this, yes.

Gunnar