V4RB, XP Windows shutDown

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Mar 16 00:06:01 CST 2003

on 3/15/03 8:44 PM, Chuck at rwc1717 at shaw.ca wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:11:45 +0200, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
> Hi Ruslan:
> Remember me....I just bought a Mac/Win licence from Paradigma for
> Valentina  V4RB...sound like it could be a song;-).
> I have written my program hand under Classic Mac/ macOSX/ win 95 and 98
> and it runs flawlessly.
> However on XP, I keep getting a Nil Ecxception Error and the only comannds
> that I am executing are the following... in my window1 object for a pushbutton
> I use to
> quit....it also executes for the 'QuitMenuItem' class of the menu class.
>
> mDb.Close
> mDb = Nil
> Quit
>
> then in my app class close event, I have the
>
> ValentinaShutdown
>
> command.  This is where the Valentina open routine exists.
>
> I have a feeling it is related to the ValentinaShutdown routine and XP since
> even though I can save (and flush), edit, search for etc. etc which should be
> writing to file.  Any records that I add will not show up after I close (with
> that damn error) and open up my program again.
>
> Any ideas?  As you can see, I am addressing no objects in the routnes that i
> am running when I leave.
>
> if, I have sent this to the wrong place/person...would you mind forwarding it
> to someone who can say Ye or Nay?...or might even notice what the error is.

Hi Chuck,

1) you can use flush() before Shutdown()
    after flush even if you get crash of system, db must be fine.

2) So as I understand, the SAME exe file compiled by RB works for you on
win95/98, but fail on XP, yes?

3) Please set up on Windows DbgView utility, set Valentina debug level 2
And check what output Valentina produce.

if you see something as:

    ValentinaShutdown...

Without 'done' at the end of line, then crash really inside of Valentina.
Otherwise in REALbasic.

Check this point.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com