V4RB ... why does this SQL fail?

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Wed Mar 12 03:48:03 CST 2003

G'day Folks

[re-posting because I'm not sure I made the problem clear the 1st time]

In calculating meta-data my app has to select all records with the same
value in one or other fields as the record being processed. Two of
these fields can be empty. The one, a VVarChar, the SQL generated by my
app is ...

SELECT RecID, line, GenXbaseID, framework_ptr FROM GenXbase WHERE
frameWork LIKE '\A\Z' NO_CASE ORDER BY line

which works. The other field is a VText & the SQL is ...

SELECT RecID, line, GenXbaseID, frameblock_ptr FROM GenXbase WHERE
frameBlock LIKE '\A\Z' NO_CASE ORDER BY line

which selects no records when frameBlock is null. This is where the
problem is. There is a record that has just been created which has in
frameBlock the value between \A & \Z. If that value is not null the
select works, if not it doesn't.

I've also tried using "WHERE fieldName = ''" but that returns the same
results.

Is this due to something about VText fields? Any other ideas?

In case it helps the parameters used to create the VText are ...
	"frameBlock", 1024, "ASCII", kv_Indexed + kv_Nullable

Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp
"If it is permissible for human beings to harass and humiliate and
ruin other human beings in the name of profit, and to do so without
let or fine or hindrance, then it is not a democratic system we are
talking about, it is a tyranny."
       Bob Ellis in 'First Abolish the Customer', Penguin 1998, p100