[C++] Emulator of POSIX Socket for Carbon and Classic

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Mar 11 16:34:45 CST 2003

on 3/11/03 2:56 PM, Andreas Grosam at agrosam at computerworks.ch wrote:

> However, since PowerPlant is a "proprietary" API a lot of other classes
> working with POSIX and PTHREADS will no longer be re-usable for that
> client-library.

????

> You should also consider a possibility for the application developer to design
> a threaded application architecture. That means, the client library needs to
> take this into account.

Correct.

The way to do this -- from each Thread of YOUR app, you simply establish own
db.Connection.

In fact even V4RB developers will be able now EASY create safe
multi-threaded apps that talk with server.

> Probably, you need a client library running for CFM and Mach-O - so PP should
> compile under Mach-O. In any case, PP is based on Carbon which only supplies
> Cooperative threads.

Correct,

Andreas, please note that we will have 3 clients for MacOS:

1) Classic
2) Carbon
3) Macho

What problems?

If you want preemptive threads you need Macho APP and you will use Macho
client.

> In that case, there might arise conflicts when the app developer uses
> preemptive threads in his application - eg. using the POSIX API directly.
> Don´t assume, the application developer only wants to create a PP application
> - why not a Mach-O console program using POSIX API?  :)

Read above

>> And it seems they have few times less code,
>> This is important for Client.
>
> The GUSI example "Server" and "Client" take about 250KByte. I do not consider
> this to be big - but OK, this adds about 200K of code.

PowerPlant add it seems < 100KB

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com