[V4RB] VPicture.SetPicture and RB 4.5.3

Frank Bitterlich bitterlich at gsco.de
Mon Mar 10 15:02:50 CST 2003

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a VPicture field in an app I'm writing. To me,
it looks like the problems started when I upgraded from RB 4.5.2 to
4.5.3. Can anybody confirm?

Scenario: I'm putting picture file preview images into a VPicture field.

Obtaining and storing the preview image:
   // omitted any error checkinng for this example
   rf = myFile.OpenResourceFork
   id = rf.ResourceID("PICT", 0)
   pic = rf.GetPicture(id)
   // at this point, "pic" contains a valid picture.
   VPicture(myDatabase.Field("PREVIEW")).SetPicture(pic) // this crashes
the RB IDE!

The funny thing is, this started crashing only when I started using a
VDatabase I had created with RB 4.5.3; as long as I was using an old DB
(created under 4.5.2, but using it under 4.5.3), it worked well.

I thought that maybe the picture I obtained had no bitmap (is this
required for .SetPicture?), so I used a function from the Monkeybread
Plugin, to create a bitmap. From then on, it doesn't crash any more, but
when I later retrieve the picture, it is NIL.

Any ideas what's wrong here? Using V4RB 1.9.5. on MacOS 9.1 on a G4 Cube/450.

Thanks,
   Frank+++

--
Günter Schmidt & Co. oHG
Frank Bitterlich             eMail: bitterlich at gsco.de
Schlosserstr. 4              WWW:   http://www.gsco.de/gsco
D-60322 Frankfurt            Tel.:  069 / 156809-29
GERMANY                      Fax:   069 / 156809-28