Object Pointer Info

Steve Kump lists at jskump.com
Fri Mar 7 10:13:38 CST 2003

Hi List,

I am a new Valentina user, still trying the product out. So far, it seems
great. I'm using AppleScript and FaceSpan.

A few questions - I'm trying to create a relationship between two tables:

Dealers and Listings.

Each Dealer can have several Listings. I use the DealerID field as the
ObjectPtr. My question is this:

Do I have to create Object Pointers in BOTH tables? So, the Dealer ID field
in the Dealer table points to the Dealer ID field in the Listings table AND
the DealerID field in the Listings table points to the DealerID field in the
Dealer table?

I think I only have to create the pointer in the Listings table and point it
to the Dealer table. This creates the 1 to many relationship I am looking
for.

When I create the pointer in the Dealer table and point to the Listings
table, it creates a 1 to 1 relationship.

Further, no matter how I create the relationship, when I choose "Show
Linked" from the user interface and specify the Object B as [DealerID]Dealer
or [DealerID]:Listings from the pull down, it doesn't show the related
records. I clicked the Dealer ID column sort and then it showed 1 dealer,
but never the Dealer that should be related to the listing record based on
the Dealer ID.

To make a long story short, what is the correct way to create the pointer in
such a situation?

Thanks!

Steve