[SQL] Client and server cursors

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Mar 5 10:35:19 CST 2003

on 3/5/03 3:49 AM, Andreas Grosam at agrosam at computerworks.ch wrote:

> Client-Side Cursors:
> -------------------
> Advantages:
> - For the Client, once loaded, it has quick access to the row values.
>
> - For the server, it does not need to hold resources which may grow
> significantly when managing a lot of server side cursors at once.
>
> Disadvantage for the client:
> - it MUST load all row data before it can process the result set.
> - it is now responsible for managing the resources which requires dedicated
> code on the client side.

:-) and this is what I like in Valentina way.

Valentina Client still will be very simple, because all this work will do
VDKC_Cursor class.

> For instance MySQL:
> MySQL does only have Client-Side Cursors.

    you sure ?
    It seems I have read about Server side cursors also in their docs.
    Or this is not implemented yet ?

> You have to choices for retriving
> row data:
> a) loading it ALL at once and let it manage by the client side
> mysql_ResultSet. This simply allocates each column value on the heap.

> b) fetching one row by one UNTIL ALL rows have been fetched. Then the client
> application code is responsible for managing the data.

Andreas, but this sounds like Sever-Side ForwardOnly cursors.
No ?

> IMO, this is quite inconvenient since you HAVE to fetch all rows!!

Agree with you

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com