Valentina, Unicode, RB

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Mar 2 20:24:11 CST 2003

Hi Guys,

I am sorry for silent on this issue,

Just today I was very busy with Ivan on implementation of Log files for
transactions for 2.0. 8 hours like a monkey on keyboard. My neck is as stone
now. I need to relax a couple of hours..

Tomorrow, we with Igor will make another round on Valentina Server.
I think Tuesday or may be Wednesday we will finish all main API for client.
After this I need just break code on Server.dll and make project for V4RB
Client...

So I very hope that in the nearest days we will be able introduce you first
Valentina Server and V4RB client (V4MD client also of course) for alpha
testing :-)

--------
Just a quick note.

I see on RB list many talks that RB strings on default are Unicode.
So what ???

In C++ on e.g. Windows, strings also are Unicode,
But developer simply need convert Unicode to MacRoman string and then store
in db that last string.

Does all this talks means that RB do not provide easy way to convert strings
between encoding ?

Point here is that even Valentina will get support of Unicode strings, this
is not fact that Western users may prefer it. Deal is that I think Unicode
strings will be slower on indexing, search and sorting than MacRoman.
I don't know exactly, but I assume this is true.
I don't know yet how much slower, but if too much then you still may prefer
for big dbs (with 100K - million records) to convert strings on READ/WRITE
and get faster searches and sorts.

Just a point.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com