Oh no, not Unicode again

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Mar 2 13:33:23 CST 2003

>QUESTIONS:
>
>-- Classic still important ?

I am going to stay with Classic OS for quite a while.

>    or Carbon is enough ?

Theoretically, Carbon should suffice for supporting both Classic OS
and OSX. However, I am not sure about Carbon on the long term. It
seems to me that Carbon was fine as the first step in moving to OSX
but I see some commercials programs abandoning Carbon and having PPC
and OSX targets. BBEdit version 5.x, for example, was rock solid.
With 6.5 I have had regular (albeit irregularly) problems, and from
what I gathered from other people in same predicament, it is not
BBEdit self but the carbon environment at fault. BBEdit 7 is not
carbon anymore as far as I know.

>   classic can do Unicode work ?

Are you talking OS or Valentina under Classic? I don't know about OS
self, but Valentina surely should. It is unrealistic to think that OS
Classic is not important anymore. At least for general public.

>-- show we have the same and only
>             String and VarChar fields
>
>    with addition of 'encoding' parameter?
>    although this way looks to be hard for UTF16
>

>-- or we should get new 2 fields
>
>             UString
>             UVarChar
>
>     how other dbs do this ?
>
>Just want to hear what you know about this?

I don't care really, though we will need encoding to support
languages properly anyway as it was discussed on the list in the past.

RObert