Oh no, not Unicode again

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Mar 1 16:30:17 CST 2003

on 3/1/03 2:41 PM, jda at jda at his.com wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> Now that RB 5 is out (kind of) and is UTF8 throughout, I'm having an
> increasingly harder time maintaining a reasonable relationship
> between text shuttled between it and Valentina. What my "non-English"
> users want (many have requested this!) is true Unicode support in my
> app. But I can't until Valentina supports Unicode.
>
> I know you have said that you are moving to this in V Server (or
> whatever). But frankly, I need this now. And although I'll no doubt
> migrate to Valentina 2 when it's out and stable, I expect to be using
> Valentina 1.x for a while.
>
> Can you consider adding UTF support to 1.x? For me, at least, this
> feature would be well worth a hefty upgrade price!  Based on previous
> threads, I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Please, please reconsider my
> (our) request to add Unicode support to Valentina 1.x.

In the same time, I invite all Valentina developers also take part in
discussion of this questions once again.

QUESTIONS:

-- Classic still important ?
   or Carbon is enough ?
   classic can do Unicode work ?

-- show we have the same and only
            String and VarChar fields

   with addition of 'encoding' parameter?
   although this way looks to be hard for UTF16

-- or we should get new 2 fields

            UString
            UVarChar

    how other dbs do this ?

Just want to hear what you know about this?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com