Sorting with international characters

Arthur Clemens aclemens at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 22 18:49:07 CDT 2003

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I cannot find an
exclusive answer in the archives, and neither in the manual:

How to sort international characters?
I have managed to use store Unicode characters and to retrieve them
again, but I see that sorting of Unicode chars is currently not
supported.
So my questions:
1) Do I have to convert Unicode characters to the MacRoman character
set? How about characters that are not in this set?
2) If not: how else to convert from and to Unicode, AND to sort?

System: Mac OS X - I have no experience with Mac OS 9.

Arthur Clemens