V4RB - 8.6, 9.22 Initial Query Slowdown

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jun 21 16:54:01 CDT 2003

on 6/21/03 15:16, Fitzbew at aol.com at Fitzbew at aol.com wrote:

> I've tried that already --- I've removed all code except building the
> recordset and cycling through it with NextRecord. BUT --- I've used a
> stopwatch to
> time the OS X query, and there IS a slow down on OS X too when the first
> complex
> query is run, it's just not as obvious.  Sorry for misleading you.

ok

> So perhaps this is some "caching" process that slows down my app only during
> the first complex query?  I'm considering just "embedding" a complex query at
> app launch so that the first user-run query will be as fast as possible.
> (Certainly not an attractive solution.)

I recommend execute it on start in separate thread.

--
Actually I wonder that OS 9 with NO virtual system still is fast for you on
second run of APP.

OS X yes can cache file pages in RAM even when we close app.
But OS 9 cannot do this. So you should get on second run of app the same
slower execution.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com