[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Fri Jun 20 09:59:33 CDT 2003

> Once detected, yes. But what if one affecting me is detected after my
> license expires? Right now, you fix bugs only with the new betas.
> This means if I don't switch releases, I don't get them. Well, since
> they are free so do speak, it is up to me to put effort into upgrade.
> However, once money is involved, the picture changes.
>
> With introduction of the ver 2 family, it may be time to change the
> policy and start providing bug fixes for the last official release
> *independently* from the development of the new release. It means
> that if I am using version 2.1 and you are now at 2.2b4 and a bug
> affecting 2.1 is found, you release a bug fix for 2.1 besides fixing
> it for 2.2b5. This way, if I want to participate in beta testing, I
> can get the new beta, but if I don't or my license expired, I simply
> get the bug fix.

Fixing bugs costs money. I can appreciate wanting to get bug fixes for
free, as the assumption is that you shouldn't have had that problem in
the first place. Im not convinced that it's a sound business practice to
do that because of the complications it introduces (unless it's an
incredibly easy fix to implement).

> >Robert, you ask about 1.x?
> >Or about future?
>
> Future mostly, although introducing this for 1.x products could be
> considered even for the next public release. It will probably be
> necessary once 2 is out. You may wish that all of us switch to
> version 2 right away, but in reality we have our development cycles
> just as you do and many people won't upgrade immediately.
>
> This is not so outrageous request. Go to FileMaker Pro -- updaters
> (bug fix releases) for all releases starting from version 4.0 are
> there. Go to CodeWarrior's site -- updaters for most of the versions
> not just last one are available.

Do you mean that FileMaker still issues updates to v4, even now that
it's a version no longer sold?

> >I think we will do right thing for software industry.
>
> I select products not by what the industry is but by what a given
> product offers and its vendor delivers. And right now you are not
> even up to what others offer.
>
> >  > I guess what I am questionning is not the sales model as such but
> >>  whether Valentina is a mature enough product to switch to
> using a
> >> subscription model at this time.
> >
> >Robert, note, we speak now about Valentina 2.0
>
> Yes, but only now you say that 2 will be delayed until more features
> are put it. I have been waiting for some for quite a while.

Im not following this... Valentina 2 wont be shipped until it has all
the features we think it needs to have for it to provide marketable
value.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President