[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Fri Jun 20 09:26:09 CDT 2003

> Except for what you've told us recently, we don't know what the
> benefits are. Certainly what you say sounds good.  But, who is to say
> that these benefits won't change in the future?  So what I would need
> to do is to factor my application so that I can change out
> VServer for
> another embedded client-server database, in case the
> subscription deal
> does change.  That's the hidden cost of buying into such a
> subscription.

Correct. Im not going to lie to you and say there wont be some changes
in the future. There's a risk in trusting any company.

But I don't think you should feel safe when any company says you have
secured some special rights forever. IP just doesn't work that way in
our society, MySQL included. Take this SCO move recently. MySQL is open
source. What happens if some SCO-like company "finds" some code in MySQL
has been misappropriated?

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President