[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Thu Jun 19 16:37:06 CDT 2003

> The subscription model works fine for MetaCard, for example. Each
> major release is really solid and there are only a couple of those a
> year at most. Further, nothing impedes using the older version as
> long as I wish, if I don't care for new features.
>
> A potential problem that I see in this model as applied to Valentina
> is the issue of bug fixes and feature additions/improvements.
>
> With Valentina, I have already been several times in the situation
> that I had to upgrade because new version fixed a bug that was
> affecting my work.
>
> Considering the frequency of new releases that Ruslan comes with and
> still a long path for Valentina to become mature, we may get stuck in
> a situation that an older version has bugs but it is no longer
> supported and we have to upgrade against our wishes. Or a new feature
> is added that we waite for but its implementation took longer than
> planned (should I list a few things that I still wait for, although
> they have been discussed for a few years now?)

That's one reason why I favor a subscription that is initially, longer
than a year. I don't see paid for upgrades more frequent than a yearly
basis, though I wouldn't rule out something happening that would justify
that (I just cannot think of a good reason to). If there's an initial
two year subscription, then there's a better chance fixes you need will
be fixed without your being dinged for another paid for upgrade.

At the same time, we are looking at Valentina 2, and its clear that
there will also be some significant features in Valentina 3, and of
course, lots of others less major that would be free.

In the case of a subscription as I originally outlined, there is a big
value in getting free upgrades to the core technology. Say you sell a
Valentina 2 based 5 connection server. Valentina 3 comes out. Those are
core technology features you can hook into and charge your customer an
upgrade fee for (or not, that's up to you).

> So far, this has been only a matter of effort but now it may also be
> an issue of money if just happens that our license has expired. Are
> you, Ruslan, ready to promise providing bug fixes for older versions
> in paralell to ongoing development?
>
> I guess what I am questionning is not the sales model as such but
> whether Valentina is a mature enough product to switch to using a
> subscription model at this time.

Its only in regard to the Embedded Server product. You could buy an
upgrade to V4RB 2 not on a subscription model.

> By the way, it is not clear to me from this discussion whether the
> pricing of non-server products remains as it was or are these also
> switched to the subscription model?

Do you mean what would be the equivalent of V4RB 2? No price changes
anticipated. There will be a paid for upgrade from V4RB 1.x to V4RB 2
though. The price points now for those seem about spot on.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC