[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 20 02:24:31 CDT 2003

on 6/20/03 0:56, Charles Yeomans at yeomans at desuetude.com wrote:

>> I think he means because we do have a subscription model in mind. What's on
>> the table is that there would be a subscription oriented service called VDN.
>>
>> You can continue to buy the next versions of the single user SDKs outside of
>> this plan. However this plan would include several tiers that include either
>> one "Pro" version of an SDK (such as V4RB for Mac, V4RB for Windows), C++
>> SDK, or all of the SDKs, plus the ability to distribute royalty free 5
>> connection server apps. The subscription style would limit the time you could
>> distribute new server applications to having a paid up subscription. But
>> you'd also get free upgrades to the covered products during that time.
>
> As I see it, the point of a subscription model is to decouple the
> revenue stream from the development cycle.  And I can see that such a
> plan has some advantages for us as well as Paradigma.  But a
> time-limited subscription model asks us to assume all of the risk.  In
> short, I wouldn't purchase a license that time-limited my ability to
> sell software.

Charles,

All depends on amount, correct?

If this annual price will be $1, but you make $1000
You still will not buy it ?  :-))

Lynn, I think it is hard for people to see full picture.

Charles, I already have told in prev letter.

1) VDN membership need buy only developers who want develop application with
embedded server.

Btw, Please look on other alternatives. If you develop client-server app
with say MS SQL Server then EACH your customer need pay to Microsoft (not to
you!) full price for SQL Server. It is $8000 it seems or so.
MySQL will require from you $155-$450 for each copy.
OpenBase it seems $40 per copy.

When you become VDN member, you get 5 connection server for FREE.
You can sale any number of copies of your app !!!
Sounds good?

Actually ONLY this fact should make VDN developers happy.
So if you will need pay next year $300 it still looks to be a
big problem ???

But look also what other good and benefits you get as VDN member!!!

2) You get 3(!!!) Valentina Server for each platform for your internal needs
and tests.
        3 Servers at $300 = $900  (already more than you have pay.)

3) you get license of V4RB/V4MD or any other single user product.
        another $300 value.

4) you get 10 connections for resale.

5) you get 20% discount to resale normal Valentina server.

6) FREE support and priority bug fix.
    compare to $1500 for mySQL support.

So you still think that $300 per year is a
bad deal for all these benefits?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com