more about quotes

Tim Davis timdavis at amug.org
Thu Jun 19 09:58:59 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

>> 1. What is the difference between using single quotes and double
>> quotes
>> marks to surround literal strings in SQL statements?
>
> String and date time constants must be in single quotes.
> By standard you cannot use double quotes.

    I've been using what seems to work in my projects, but also trying
to understand it. So I'm confused by your last statement. In a large
project of mine I use single quote in all Select (32) and Delete (3)
statements, but I have only double quotes work in Insert (7) and Update
(6) statements. Why would the Insert and Update work with double quotes
and apparently not with single quotes? Though I have to say that at
very rare times (.01%) the Insert and Update don't succeed, don't know
why. Should I be using single quote always in SQL (string, date/time)
values including Insert and Update, and if its not working something
else is wrong with my syntax?
    In the mean time, before you get the next beta out, could you give
me an idea of how to escape strings properly?

Thanks!
Tim