Features, features...

Frank Schima frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com
Thu Jun 19 12:28:30 CDT 2003

Hi Chris,

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 11:06  AM, Chris Aernoudt wrote:
> Does this querying as described on page 41 of the VSQL ref only work on
> fields of type objectPtr?
> Is a query with this functionality possible in VSQL?
>
> SELECT * FROM sometable INNER JOIN othertable ON othertable.ID =
> CAST(substr(sometable.somefield, 2, 2) AS NUMERIC)
>
> Or do I have to nest SELECT's?

What document are you looking at? I looked at the apparently latest ValentinaSQL.pdf on
page 41 and I do not see that.

Valentina uses dot notation for inner and outer joins. Also, it does not have the CAST()
function. So I would attempt to write your SQL as:

SELECT * FROM sometable, othertable
WHERE othertable.ID=sometable.somefield

Note that you do not need ObjectPtr fields for inner and outer joins - any two fields of
the same type will do. You can use a field METHOD to get around casting issues.

HTH,
Frank

---
Frank Schima                <mailto:frank-list2 at-sign mindstarprods.com>
Independent Consultant
Gaithersburg, MD USA        <http://www.ci.gaithersburg.md.us/>