all about quotes

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jun 19 13:00:09 CDT 2003

on 6/19/03 11:13, Tim Davis at timdavis at amug.org wrote:

Hi Tim,

>   I need to get clear on how Valentina handles quotes in SQL
> statements.

> 1. What is the difference between using single quotes and double quotes
> marks to surround literal strings in SQL statements?

String and date time constants must be in single quotes.
By standard you cannot use double quotes.

> 2. What is the best way to escape quotes within, beginning or ending an
> SQL statement's literal string value, with repeating quote marks or the
> "\" character?

In the nearest beta I will add to all Valentina products new function
    EscapeString()

Which you will can to use to escape YOUR stirng before you concate it into
query.

> 3. Are there any other characters in an SQL statement literal string
> values (other than quote marks) which requires escaping with "\" so it
> doesn't mess with interpretation?

    EscapeString should answer all these questions.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com