REALbasic: right for this project?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 6 10:33:22 CDT 2003

on 6/6/03 9:54, Richard Altenburg at valentina at brainchild.nl wrote:

>>> It would not have been so much fun. I find programming and layout creation
>>> in 4D a boring task. RB offers a much nicer approach to developing, and it
>>> is fun creating your own classes and stuff. I wish I had that freedom in 4D.
>>> On the other hand, I wish I had the power of a database engine as cool as
>>> 4D's in RB. I do use Valentina, and it is great, but it is not as tightly
>>> integrated into the language.
>>
>> What exactly is not fit into your dream?
>> IT seems to me classes of Valentina integrate access to Valentina db very
>> good. You miss some features? Which exactly?
>
> It is not so much features that I miss in Valentina or in REALbasic, it is
> just that 4D has them all in one place.

RB + V4RB also.

You type words in 4D, You type them in RB.
Variable there, variables here...

> The database you work on in a 4D project is a tightly integrated part of
> your program. 4D is all about data, so every part of the language is there
> for you to read, modify and write data. It is also fully ready for server
> based work, where a lot of users can handle the same database together. And
> the developer doesn't have to worry about it too much.

As for me I do not see big difference here.

> This makes 4D not so much fun for games and communications (both of them I
> do in RB now), but when you handle databases it is very good.

Yes, but I this this is because in 4D integrated with db is
A) db schema manipulation (e.g. diagrams)
B) layouts integrated with db schema
C) reports integrated with db schema

In REALbasic
A) absent
B) need manual integration in code
C) absent in Rb, exists as simple third party classes.

> When you modify the database in 4D, your program knows it. When you change
> the type of a field, or its name, the code knows it.

You mean that this field is automatically renamed in all program?

> The 4D IDE can create
> layouts for inputting and outputting data for you, because it knows all
> about the database design you made. And printing in 4D is also much more
> powerful, and many database programs need that. RB sucks at this...

Correct.

> SQL is nice, and the classes you made for RB are good, but when RB and
> Valentina were totally integrated everyone would be able to make simpler
> database applications with them. I have asked for this integration more than
> once, and still feel this could make the true 4D-killer! Because RB is more
> fun and more flexible, and Valentina is more speed, and more... speed ;-)
>
> Believe me, I love Valentina. And I love the free type of programming in
> REALbasic. And I admire the very active users that talk with each other
> around the globe (in 4D, I always felt I was alone in troubles). But
> whenever I think of it, I just know 4D would have been a faster way to
> create my applications. I know, it is very expensive, and not so much fun,
> but for business demands where every minute counts, I would not advise
> someone to go for a nice but always somehow buggy RB development cycle.

I see your point.

Yes of course, DBMS environment (4D, Access, Sybase) always will be better
integrated with database then general kind RAD tools like RB or VB.
Have you see VB? Although this is MS product, it also have the same "lacks"
of db integration like RB.

------
I hope that Valentina Studio will improve Valentina development,
And so simplify RB+V4RB work.

By the way, I did think about such simple feature for Vstudio as generation
of code for example to create db for different languages that support
Valentina. So you create in Vstudio like in Access or 4D db schema, then you
say: generate for C++, Java, Lingo, RB, ... Code to create this db.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com