Reorder Field Names?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jun 3 12:20:01 CDT 2003

>on 6/3/03 9:22, Ken Ray at kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:
>
>>  Is there a way to reorder field names using either VAPP or VXCMD? That
>>  is, if I have 35 field names and want to "insert" a field name in the #3
>>  slot, is there some faster way than going through #3-#35 and changing
>>  them by hand?
>
>No way, Ken.
>
>I have see that only fileMaker allow such feature.,
>
>Why you need this?
>In SQL cursor you can define any order as you want.

I think one can "reorder" fields on physical level by changing the
order of field definitions in XML dump, then creating a new db from
the modified dump.

Ruslan, my guess is that Ken wants more direct matching between the
fields and the way he displays them (particularly when using * in
SQL).

Ken, from programming point of view, particularly long-term
maintenance, it may be better to simply fetch the list of field names
and sort them for display, saving indexes for retrieving the matching
content.

Robert