[VAPP] crash on ask for 'db names'

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jul 24 23:35:11 CDT 2003

on 7/24/03 2:03, Kurt Klamp at K.Klamp at t-online.de wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> here it is.  As wanted i modified the example 1 script .
>
> -Run it in Script editor
> -turn the event/result window on
>
> for the following steps it needs to quit vapp/close db after each step
>
> - first run it as send (correct the path prop for your needs) --> must be
> ok
> - then uncomment the marked line2 in handler create and run again -->
> must lead to crash if no db open (crash with system error 15)
> - then comment the call line for handler 'create()'
> - then uncomment the call line for handler 'do_sql()' and run --> must
> give normal error dialog
> - then uncomment the marked line5 in handler 'do_sql' and run again -->
> must lead to crash if no db open
>
> If you need some info from apple system profiler, please let me know.

Hi Kurt,

It is strange, but I DO NOT get crashes.
I have try on both RELEASE version and DEBUG version.
With CodeWarrior and without codeWarrior debugger.

1) When I uncomment that lines which must crash me,
I simply get error dialog with some 17xx code and words that app cannot
convert something to something. This is in the ERROR handler at the end of
script.

2) I also have try 1.9.7 RELEASE on your script, it produce 100% the same
result.

3) I don't know how this works for you, but for me the last line here fails

> on Create()
> try
> tell application "Valentina PPC"
>
> --name of databases -- 2. FOR TEST UNCOMMENT THIS LINE  in second run !!
>
> activate
>
> set dbfile to choose file name with prompt "New database file" default name
> "testdb"
> set theDB to make new database with data file dbfile
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I see in the log something as

      make new database with data file (file "path")
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 2 times path.

I do not have never such code in example scripts.
In examples present

    set theDB to make new database with data file "dbtest"
                                                  ^^^^^^^^ just name

So I wonder how this script works on your computer ???
A lots of wonder...

4) by my source 'name of databases' with no open dbs should produce
exception. I.e. Some error. And this is what I see on my computer.

5) with your SQL test, I also get simply error, as  expected.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com