[vxcmd] - 'where recid in' problem?

Ron rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Thu Jul 24 12:15:55 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan

I have been sending a list of line numbers delimited by a comma to Val. The
line numbers are the same as the recid IN THIS CASE ONLY since the data is
never changed. (I recognize the danger of equating line numbers with recids
;)

Recently I changed from:

repeat for each item x in thelist
     put Valentina("Cursor_GetRecord",CursorRef,x) & return after newtext
end repeat

 put "select ref,verses from bible where recid in "& thelist into thesql
 put Valentina("DataBase_SQLSelectRecords",dbRef,theSQL) into newtext

I noticed 2 things.

1. The 'where recid in' returned the items in numerical order, rather than
the order of the items. eg; parameter passed = 2,5,1 but returns lines
1,2,5. Sometimes I need the item order. I can script around this but is this
the expected behavior?

2. The 'where recid in' did not return all the items when more than a few
(18 or more, I did not try to find the limit)  randomly ordered items were
passed to it. This is a bigger problem than no.1 obviously.

Thanks
Ron