NoLocks // 1.9.8b10 adoption of record locks. Feedback

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Sun Jul 6 18:57:40 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

On Sabato, lug 5, 2003, at 22:11 Europe/Rome, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> some dumb questions:
>> what's the price of notify cursors of changes?
>> huge overhead? system clogging?
>
> DBMS server will need do extra work to check what cursors must be
> notified,
> And notify them

I see, but still don't understand how could we do this ourselves if
needed
e.g.
imagine a multiuser client/server schedule app
• user A is browsing his list of todo on his client
(the list was built creating a readonly cursor from the server's
database and copying the result in some local list)
• user B adds a todo item via his client, now the user A has an
outdated list

how does the system know that user A's list must be updated?

mmm... well I guess I need a server side module app doing this job for
me communicating via sockets...

I was stuck in the idea to have for free network-ready apps
and Miss Vale's kernel do the whole handling...

still it would be a nice idea
(and a way better coded job ;-)

> Again, this is not good way how transactions work.
> Do not worry, you will become used.
> I am self yet not used to this tricks :-)

yup! I feel just like lost in the woods
always absolute beginner
that's why I rely on exploits of you pros 8^)

thanks for listening always

Cool Runnings,
Erne.