Releasing record locks

Tim Davis timdavis at amug.org
Fri Jul 4 06:57:11 CDT 2003

>> And if one record is in a ReadWrite cursor, and an attempt is made to
>> create another cursor that contains 9 "free" records and that one
>> "locked" record, what happens  -- are 9 records returned? Or is the
>> new cursor empty (nil).
>
> You will get nil cursor and ERROR: CannotSetLock.

Am I understanding correctly above that the second request for 9
records is Read Only? Hmmm, that could really tie things up. One record
in Write mode could hold up reading loads of records. What does an
application, or user, do while waiting for records?!

Just thinking out loud...
I wonder if there is a logical way to time-out a cursor of locked
records, and possibly cue requests for records? Does this make any
sense? Any ideas?

Thinking about how Filemaker Pro handles this, (if I'm not mistaken),
you can always read any record and it will show you the last modified
state. (It will automatically notify other cursors of changes.) It will
simply not allow two users to modify (be in Write mode on) the same
record. That is a much more livable process. Is this what Valentina
does, or can we have it do that?

Tim Davis