RegEx help

Lloyd Butler lbutler at on.pelmorex.com
Wed Jul 2 11:58:33 CDT 2003

	Eric,

	Let me first preface this by saying that I do not use RegEx much.

	Since you are not sure what they will search on, what about building
the search criteria up?

	You put the string into a temporary variables so that you can play
with them. In one replace the dots with the '\\.'. In one you can put remove
any dats and put '\\.' between each letter and then in another replace the
upper case letters with '[A-Z]' then you can build your query sring by
appending the two together with an OR '|'.

	they enter MGM, your routine ends up with
	WHERE fld LIKE 'MGM|M\\.G\\.M\\.|M[A-Z][A-Z]'

	they enter M.G.M, your routine ends up with
	WHERE fld LIKE 'M\\.G\\.M|M\\.G\\.M\\.|M[A-Z][A-Z]'

	they enter M.G.M., your routine ends up with
	WHERE fld LIKE 'M\\.G\\.M\\.|M\\.G\\.M\\.|M[A-Z][A-Z]' f

	they enter Moose, your routine ends up with
	WHERE fld LIKE 'Moose|M\\.\\o\\.o\\.s\\.e\\.'

	they enter MoM, your routine ends up with
	WHERE fld LIKE 'MoM|M\\.\\o\\.M\\.|Mo[A-Z]'

	This will find some words that are outside of what you want, but by
using the case of the letters, it may help narrow the list for ya,
especially for acronyms. You don't want to replace the lower case letters or
then you might just as well search for *.

	It is not a perfect solution, but it is functional.

Lloyd Butler
Product and System Development Supervisor
TWN Commercial Services
lbutler at on.pelmorex.com
p: 905.566.9511x286
	f: 905.566.9370