RegEx help

Wonder Fef wonderfef at noos.fr
Wed Jul 2 13:38:04 CDT 2003

First, thanks for your answer.

>   "M.G.M" -- you mean that user type DOTS ?
>  and you want find MGM ?

Yes. You know, the Metro Goldwin Mayer may be also called "MGM" or "M.G.M"

> Then you need first of all self correct user's input to "MGM"
Alas, users are unpredictable and not that flexible !
Some will input "MGM" and others "M.G.M" or even "M.G.M."

> To do this you need query as
>   WHERE fld LIKE 'M.*G.*M'
> Here '.*' say that between M and G can be zero or any number of any chars.

Good idea, but this will also find records like "magma", "my genius mind",
etc.
I'd just like to escape/ignore the dot character...
Is that possible?

Thanks again for your help.
Eric