Next beta will have record locks.

Frank Schima frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com
Tue Jul 1 19:48:41 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 02:00  PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Erne, in the same time I want point that although this level 1 "DIRTY
> READ",
> exists in the standard of SQL, most mature DBMS like Oracle, Sybase,
> SQL
> Serve even DO NOT support it. They explain this that this is very
> danger way
> to work with data...
>
> Indeed, this mode of record access can be used in real life only in
> very
> special cases, e.g. You want fastest dump of some records, and you do
> not
> care about consistency of them.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, Sybase has always allowed this. It is
called Isolation Level 0. It is actually useful for getting snapshot
sum() or average() values in tables which are constantly changing like,
for example, bank transactions.

-Frank

---
Frank Schima                <mailto:frank-list2 at-sign
mindstarprods.com>
Independent Consultant
Gaithersburg, MD USA        <http://www.ci.gaithersburg.md.us/>