Next beta will have record locks.

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Tue Jul 1 18:20:18 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

on 1-07-2003 14:20, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

>> so if we call a cursor as Locked, all its records get the locked status
>
>> Can't we lock/unlock on a record basis?
>
> Erne,
>
> EACH cursor always lock its records. EACH cursor. ALWAYS.
> You can just specify READ ONLY lock, or READ WRITE lock.
>

> You cannot manually set remove locks.
> This work do cursor

what's the need of a READ ONLY lock?

does it means that even if that cursor's records are Read only
I can't modify them in another cursor anyway?

Of course this applies by default to any Joint cursor

Will we ever have Writable Joint cursors?

mmm... I can see big trouble for me in this kind of implementation :-(

I can see the danger of having a record changed while used by another cursor
for, say, an account total but the alternative is to store references to the
records somwhere (a list, an array or whatever) and let go free those
records.

But then we'll be on the very same boat, another cursor can change the data
and our references won't be up-to-date anymore.

Lots of overhead and memory waste to achieve nothing

Of course if I don't want my data to be changed while I'm processing them I
could still want to lock them, but why must this be always forced?

I'd love much better to have the possibility of having a cursor free of
locks, then when any of its data gets changed by another cursor those would
be updated everywhere
Pretty much as it is now, and a Cursor.Datachanged event would be welcome

I'd like also the possibility of set locks on already living cursors
with methods like
cursor.LockWrite as Boolean
cursor.LockRead as Boolean
cursor.Unlock

and to be true I'd love also to have this possibility on a record basis
as in

cursor.CurrentPosition = 12
cursor.LockRecordWrite as Boolean
cursor.LockRecordRead as Boolean
cursor.UnlockRead

Am I just dreaming?
Wouldn't this be like paradise?
Why can't we fly high?

I remember we talking about even let Valentina take care of all these boring
tasks in a vodoo magic way!

Cool Runnings,
Erne.