Next beta will have record locks.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jul 1 00:26:29 CDT 2003

Hi guys,

I want to make small announce of a new Valentina feature -- record locking.

We have add this feature for Valentina Server.
This was the last feature required to make Vserver usable for real life.

* Locks set a Cursor on creation automatically,
    and remove locks on destroying.

* Implemented Read and Write locks.

* Manu cursors can set Read (Shared) lock on the same record.

* On a record locked for Read cannot be set Write lock.

* Only one cursor can set Write (Exclusive) lock.

* To Add/Delete/Update records you need cursor that set Write locks.

* Cursor with kForwardOnly parameter will unlock a record when you move to
next record of cursor.

IMPORTANT:
    Record locking now is also feature of *ALL* Valentina products,
    V4RB and V4MD developers already have see that SqlSelect() now
    have new parameters:

    SqlSelect(query, kClient/kServer, kRead/kWrite, kForwardOnly/kRandom)
Even if you develop app with local database, starting from new release you
will need deal with this parameters.

For Local db, kServer amd kClient will be the same of course.

Now you will need CREFULLY set parameter kWrite, when you want a cursor that
allows modify records. On default cursor will be ReadOnly and ForwardOnly,
because this is the most friendly set of parameters for multi-user access.

YES, guys, payment for this new feature -- you will need to modify a little
your current sources even if you do not use Valentina Server.
Each cursor that want to modify records must be created with kWrite
parameter.

This feature will allow even to developers of apps with local dbs many
benefits, for example now you can really safe develop multi-thread apps,
multi-window apps, where each thread/window have own cursor that can concur
to others.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com