Memory Efficient, Fast Storage Method

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jan 31 23:20:20 CST 2003

on 1/31/03 11:05 PM, Eric Forget at forgete at cafederic.com wrote:

>> This is exactly what we will have in Valentina 2.0.
>>
>> Valentina will have
>>
>> A) disk based db -- like now
>> B) disk-based db with ability create TMP tables on the RAM, by your choice.
>> C) totally RAM-based db -- this is what you ask about
>
> How about:
>
> D) File-mapped static database?

I have consider MMF before start do 2.0
But they have many problems.

Yes you correctly point that they can be good only for static dbs.
It is very hard to use them for db that grow.
And they have limit in 2GB.

> Also note that RAM-based will always go to disk anyway on Mac OS X...

Correct.

But I think about main usage of RAM based db are next:

1) really very small tmp db

2) assume somebody do V4MD project based on CD, run it on computer where
there is no rights on disk access but he need do some TMP tables, then
developer can make db on RAM.

In the same time note, that exists even separate category of so called
"RAM-based DBMS", e.g. Panorama. As for me I very wonder why they exists :-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com