Problems posting to the list??

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Jan 23 11:14:11 CST 2003

Ruslan,

It seems that this is a popular problem with new Mailman users.
Turning off this feature does not sound like a good idea since it may
allow spam to flow in.

After posting to the list, I realized that I do NOT get that message,
so it must be something specific to Andy's post.

This issue is addressed in Mailman's FAQ:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.009.htp

Here are a few more posts from Mailman's discussion. It seems that
you are the one who needs to do some checking to figure this out.

>  > I have set up two lists.
>  > List 1: Has three members and and anyone can send to it.
>  > List 2: Has List 1 as a member and anyone can send to it.
>  >
>  > With List 2 I am receiving the error metioned in the Subject section
>  > above. Why is this so?
>
>Because List 1 doesn't see its name (or a name that it recognizes as
>belonging to itself) in the To: or Cc: headers of the messages coming
>from List 2.
>
>  > I have followed the table in the documentation:
>  > Receive from anyone in the universe, but the message still requires
>  > moderation approval.
>
>The problem here is with who the message is addressed to, not who it's
>coming from.  You could turn off the "Must posts have list named in
>destination (to, cc) field (or be among the acceptable alias names,
>specified below)?"  option, but that would increase vulnerability to
>spammers.  The better option would be to add List 2's name to the list of
>"Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc destination
>names for this list."  (Both settings are on the Privacy Options page.)

another

>  > Message has implicit destination
>  >
>  > The list address is present in either the To: or CC: fields, so I'm
>
>Are you sure the /exact/ name is present in to or cc ? You might want to put
>some extra possibilities in $acceptable_aliases ..
>
>Gr,

another

>  >The reason it is being held:
>  >
>  >     Message has implicit destination
>  >
>  >Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
>  >notification of the moderator's decision.
>
>For some (good) reason Mailman does not see the incoming mail being
>delivered to the list as being addressed directly to the list. Mailman is
>not seeing what it believes to be the expected mail name or mail domain in
>the To: header of the post.
>
>  From the information above it appears that the Mailman thinks the list's
>mail alias should be fawad3 at gold.woodsidenet.com.
>
>However I see that the mail alias originating the post (and responded to)
>is perforce at gold.eng.woodsidenet.com.
>
>You need to double check your MTA setup, mail aliases, and the actual mail
>alias you sent the test mail to.
>
>You also want to take a look at the detail of To: headers displayed in the
>list's administrative tasks page when this happens; follow the link on the
>admin notification email.

Robert