[FAQ] Newbie question on RecID

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jan 22 22:14:07 CST 2003

on 1/22/03 8:37 PM, Rick Robinson at rickrobinson at attbi.com wrote:

Hi Rick,

> This isn't working, I get an exception when I try:

Strange.

> rnumber = myCursor.ULongField("RecID").value
>
> I've checked that my select is using "**" instead of just "*".
>
> I can't see the RecID from within the Valentina App.
> Am I supposed to  be able to?

VAPP do not sow it.
I recommend download viSQL utility.
Ah, you use RB, so you have viSQL project in your archive.
Just run it. You can made exe self.

So, do your SQL query using viSQL against your db.,
You easy will see what is going on.

> I assume the RecID is created automatically?

YES. RecID field exists in EACH Table. Always.

> When does that happen?

In fact RecID is not stored on disk.
RecID this is *physical* number of a record in the table.
So when you create record, it ALREADY have RecID,
When I know RecID I can easy calculate where record is located on disk.

> Is it possible there is no field RecID in my table/baseobject?

No.

So try viSQL,

And try explicit

    SELECT RecID, f1, f2, FROM T

By the way, read SQL.pdf , part "RecID field".

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com