[interesting] Database Encryption

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jan 22 15:36:17 CST 2003

on 1/22/03 3:00 PM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

> But from your earlier posts I gather that DATA above means data in
> the current records/fields only. If I understood that correctly, then
> records that are deleted still contain data that may be private but
> becomes exposed now since they are not encrypted anymore.
>
> You mentioned the option to zero (I presume you mean to nullify)
> deleted records in version 2. Shouldn't that be done automatically
> for encrypted tables and fields? Optional for other cases is fine. Or
> you should continue to encrypt the deleted records/fields.

Agree. In ideal it must be:

IF you have db with existed data,
And you say encrypt it,
Valentina must encrypt existed data,
And ZERO ONCE (!) all empty space.

> Further, I am not sure whether you want to wait until version 2 to
> resolve this. You would not want to get into a scandal like Microsoft
> exposing inappropriate content within Word files. Theoretically, we
> should explicitely nullify all records/fields that we delete in such
> a database, but in practice we may rely on automatic deletion or
> simply forget to do it.

> While you may not be legally liable for damages, reputation of
> Valentina could be impacted. Wouldn't you agree, Lynn?

Problem like in Microsoft was fixed on first month of born of Valentina.
Allocated disk space is zeroed.

Robert, in fact in above situation mistake is of developer/user.

BEFORE he have decide encrypt db, that data was NOT considered as secret.
They was even deleted before encryption. So why Valentina must consider them
as secret ?

In any case, now you can do XML Dump/Load to get new fresh db without any
deleted data, and encrypt it.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com