[VSDK Macho] Wishes and performance stuff

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 21 14:29:57 CST 2003

on 1/21/03 1:57 PM, Totte Alm at totte at code66.se wrote:

> I've just done a huge speed improvement on my huge VSDK_Macho project
> when I realized that the optimal cachesize IS 4MB. I did run the
> Bundler-process (process the database in many many diffferent ways)
> with several different cachesizes on a 80MB database, and logged each
> operationgroup with a timestamp, and found that my 32MB cache was a
> performance penalty compared to the 4MB.
>
> 21:10.43.01.776 : 'Bundler with 4 MB cache'
> Bundler: working on '/Users/totte/Documents/TestOut/xxx-secretfile'
> 21:10.43.02.367 : 'Bundler Started'
> 21:10.43.02.378 : 'Start mega preload' <- NOT valentina related
> 21:10.43.07.904 : 'Start Preparing' <- this step about 46.5 seconds
> with 4MB cache
> 21:10.43.54.439 : 'Start Bundling'
>
> 21:10.50.15.245 : 'Bundler with 32 MB cache'
> Bundler: working on '/Users/totte/Documents/TestOut/xxx-secretfile'
> 21:10.50.16.206 : 'Bundler Started'
> 21:10.50.16.217 : 'Start mega preload' <- NOT valentina related
> 21:10.50.22.177 : 'Start Preparing' <- this step takes almost 2 minutes
> and 5 seconds with 32MB cache
> 21:10.53.16.964 : 'Start Bundling'
>
> I also recoded a huge "calculate a bunch of sums" function to depend
> more on Valentina SQL SUM() and a Cursos,  than on looping the
> recordset, and guess what? 80 times faster.

:-)

I such such digits:
    80 times faster...
    100 times faster...

Again, In 2.0 for C++ developers will be opened MANY things that are closed
now because of limitation of current wrapper-design.

For example, you can look in sources I have sent you on
    I_Field::ReadRecord( REC_ID inRecID, I_Value* ioValue = NULL );

This function open great speed up on such field iterations.
In fact cursor also use it.

But now you will be able do this without SQL and Cursor overhead at all.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com