[Valentina] Re: Vdb files

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 20 17:01:57 CST 2003

>You have point another important issue, Robert -- back compatibility.
>
>I still think we must go as it is.

For now, yes, but for ever?

>And we must not send extensions to Open().

I said to use it optionally -- only as/when needed! Essentially, an
supplement/alternative to the SetExtensions function.

>Reason is next:

sorry, but none of the reasons convince me:

>-- "set of extension" is property of *application*.

yes

>-- when you on windows build app, you assign it to extensions it must
>recognize. Even more, on windows, we inform OpenDialog() about extensions we
>want to filter.

exactly! The extensions are in our code, so we know what they are.

>-- so this is not correct by OO design put on Open() extensions.

but this is same as providing name with extension built in -- they
are just split for clarity.

>-- If we do this, it sounds like Open() must be able open ANY DB with ANY
>extension. But this is not true. Application must be able open only .vdb

but we can specify custom extensions now. how is that different?

>Of course such apps, as Valentina studio should be able open any db of
>Valentina kind. Then in open dialog must be choosed *.*
>And btw, such functionality must be yet implemented.

But our apps use either standard Valentina extension (when this issue
is moot) or our custom extensions which we know what they are.

>-- Another reason why it is bad put on Open() separate name and ext,
>Assume you get from Opendialog path to db. So now you need SELF parse it and
>remove ext?  Sources for bugs I believe.

Not any more than now. And since we know what to expect, checking for
extension (if it was not pre-filtered by the open dialog) is not that
complicated and can be used to verify that user selected the right
thing.

Robert