[Valentina] Re: Vdb files

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Sat Jan 18 17:42:41 CST 2003

>>>  I already have an OS X version (Carbon). It's a single file app. No
>>>  extensions. Works great.
>>
>> However, since X ignores file/cretor types, you cannot double click on your
>> data file to launch your application. This may not be important for you but
>> it is un-mac-like and can be confusing for your users :-)
>
> Keith, I'm sorry but you are mistaken. OS X Finder *does* honor the
> creator/file types. I can double click on my databases and open my
> app just fine (my users would scream bloody murder, and rightfully
> so, if that basic functionality wasn't there).

My apologies Jon, I am mistaken. This is interesting...

I did some testing. If the file type and creator is there, the extension is
in fact not needed. For a good many of the files on my OS X drive, there is
no file type and creator -- in these cases X relies on the extension for
association. I'm wondering if I held my prior belief based on observing this
or if early on I misread the Apple docs on X.

At any rate, my earlier point still applies for Windows -- you'll need an
extension to use your files in a Windows version of your app ;-)

Thanks for enlightening me on OS X,

Keith