V4RB Need help with Retrieving Method Results

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Feb 25 18:16:12 CST 2003

on 2/25/03 5:30 PM, Mike Albert at malbert at asia.apple.com wrote:

> Thanks Ruslan,
>
> Do I need to define the in the RB code the formula's for that method?  I
> already did this in VAPP and they're working fine from AppleScript and within
> VAPP.

IF you define you db structure in RB as classes then you must.

And then better create new db from your RB app, because ORDER OF CREATION of
tables and fields must be the same in RB app and on disk. IF you create db
in VAPP then try make classes in RB most probably you will fail.

In the same time you can choose DYNAMIC WAY to work with db in RB,
Then you must not have problems.

> These DB's were previously created in VAPP and have been used for many months
> with AppleScript.

> I am unable to get any values from the method fields.
>
> I just looked through the Test example and tried the following :
>
> vCategory = vConfigRecordsCursor.StringField("category").value
>
> I still get the exception error on this.  I am guessing I am doing something
> really wrong....I just can't figure out what!

IF you already have a db, then SIMPLEST way for RB,
Just open it

    db.Open

Then make cursor and use that cursor for read/write.
Do not make BaseObject classes!

IF you want classes, you will need make classes,
Then create from RB app new empty db,
Then import data from your old db,
Trash old db and use new db.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com