[V4RB] Handling of dbs being served

jda jda at his.com
Fri Feb 14 08:27:38 CST 2003

Hi all,

I'm creating a simple HTTP server in RB that will serve information
from Valentina databases. Users will have access via their browsers,
and will not be able to modify the databases over the internet (at
least not yet).

My plan is to have the web pages pointing at my server tell which
database they want to search, and the server will loop through open
databases. If it finds a match, it will search that database and
respond. If that database is not open, the server will open it, fetch
the data, and then close the database.

My question is, is it dangerous to allow the server to "piggyback" on
an already open database? In other words, if the database is in use
and being updated by the user, could this "read only" access cause
problems?

If this is a potential problem, I can allow access to only databases
that are not already open. But it would be convenient if someone
could be using the database locally at the same time it is being used
remotely.

Note that this server is intended for modest use, not for thousands of users.

Thanks.

Jon