[V4RB] Writing a simple server

Frank Bitterlich bitterlich at gsco.de
Tue Feb 11 17:48:46 CST 2003

Just one thing to add: If you want the exact details (and your should
really stick to them if you're creating a HTTP server), look at RFC
2068. It is available from many palces, one of them is
   http://www.faqs.org

The info about authentication (the simplest one is "Basic") is in
section 10.4.2 and 11.

The basics: the client sends a header line like this with the request:
   Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxx

where "xxxxxxxxxxxxx" is an Base64 encoded string consisting of the
username, a colon, and the password. The the username or password is not
valid or the whole Autorization header missing, the server sends a "401
Unauthorized" response instead of the document.

Cheers,
   Frank+++

--
Günter Schmidt & Co. oHG
Frank Bitterlich             eMail: bitterlich at gsco.de
Schlosserstr. 4              WWW:   http://www.gsco.de/gsco
D-60322 Frankfurt            Tel.:  069 / 156809-29
GERMANY                      Fax:   069 / 156809-28