[for ALL] Valentina Server 1.x // And they say OpenBaseisgood?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 11 13:34:39 CST 2003

>>I don't think there is a viable market for the work that would go into a
>>separate Valentina 1.x server product, and it would be a distraction to
>>completing Valentina 2 (with all products to be based on the new code
>>base).
>
>I think you're completely wrong here. We need a Client/Server solution that
>we are waiting for a long time. Some of us have already jumped to some other
>RDBMS because of that.
>
>Valentina 1.X seems to be -already- a good product, since we use it
>extensively. So
>I don't see any reason to wait for Valentina 2 to get Valentina
>Server if my REAL need
>is Valentina Server: Valentina 1.X Server is OK for me.

I wonder whether there is a miscommunication.

As I understood what was said, the server was to be released as
Ruslan has it now -- not as a product but as a technology preview.

This would be a beta-quality software by definition, free to use but
only by those who own other Valentina products. This would allow a
jump-start on the server usage and testing the core implementation.

This is different from releasing 1.x Server officially as a product.
That would indeed drain the resources as Lynn argues.

Then, the financial considerations muddled the discussion. To collect
money now (offering a free upgrade to 2) would be possible only if we
have  1.x server released as a formal product. Otherwise, Paradigma
has to wait to see cash flowing until 2 is ready. In my mind as a
client, this is a better scenerio and extra motivation for them to
finish 2 asap :) although as a developer I understand their pain and
financial stress.

Further, Ruslan did not make it completely clear what specific
variant of the server he would/could release, and it is clear that
the needs vary.

So, the bottom line is that Ruslan and Lynn have to agree how they
want to proceed and give us a clear answer.

Robert