[for ALL] Valentina Server 1.x // And they say OpenBaseisgood?

Stéphane Pinel spinel at exenevex.com
Tue Feb 11 09:53:40 CST 2003

Le mardi, 11 fév 2003, à 01:23 Europe/Paris, Lynn Fredricks a écrit :

>> ...because of course you've NOT been hacking your commercial
>> V4RB app together as a shared data file application for over
>> two years because you've been repeatedly told every few
>> months that Valentina server was right around the corner.
>>
>> I very strongly think that the support nightmare some of us
>> are facing with OS X and V4RB is quite worthy of an interim
>> release ASAP.
>
> I don't think there is a viable market for the work that would go into
> separate Valentina 1.x server product, and it would be a distraction to
> completing Valentina 2 (with all products to be based on the new code
> base).

I think you're completely wrong here. We need a Client/Server solution
that
we are waiting for a long time. Some of us have already jumped to some
other
RDBMS because of that.

Valentina 1.X seems to be -already- a good product, since we use it
extensively. So
I don't see any reason to wait for Valentina 2 to get Valentina Server
if my REAL need
is Valentina Server: Valentina 1.X Server is OK for me.

> If I were developing with REALbasic, Id wait until there is a much more
> powerful Valentina 2 database solution and REALbasic 5, with its new
> server socket, is complete. RB 5 will probably beat Valentina 2 to
> market, but that doesn't mean you wont be able to use them together.
> Also, a V4RB 2.0 for Windows that supports the native plugin API for
> REALbasic for Windows 5 is going to mean a lot for both products. While
> there shouldn't be much of a problem using the Valentina COM/ActiveX
> solution with RB 5 for Windows, a V4RB 2.0 with native support will
> make
> a much greater impact on the new RB 5 for Windows user base.
>
> Best regards,

Again, I don't see any reason why RB5 will "beat" Valentina 2 market
because
of its new ServerSockets ;-) Plus, your argumentation seems to be based
on future
RB5 Windows IDE users base that is not exist today and will not be
really significant
before months.

I don't know if I'm the only one to feel that need but basically, if
Paradigma provides a
Valentina Server based on what I've got today as a standalone RDBMS, I
would buy it.

Regards.

---
Stéphane Pinel - Exenevex SA
4D Plugins [MySQLConnect for 4D] [DBGateway for 4D]
iChat/AIM: s.pinel